This is a summary of the terms, conditions and exclusions of the travel insurance provided by GK General. What is stated in this summary is subject to what is stated in the travel policy’s terms and conditions. For more information refer to the policy wording obtainable from our downloads section.
|Standard Cover in USD||Schengen Visa Cover||Senior Schengen Visa Cover||Senior Cover in USD|
|Summary of Benefits|
|Section 1: Worldwide Assistance Service||Assistance||Assistance||Assistance Services||Assistance Services|
|Section 2: Personal Accident||Refer to below||Refer to below||Refer Below||Refer Below|
|24 Hour: Death or PTD||$ 40,000||€ 10,000||€ 10 000||$40 000|
|Carrier: Death or PTD||$ 40,000||€ 40,000||€ 40 000||$40 000|
|Section 3: Overseas Medical and Dental Expenses||$ 100,000||€ 50,000||€ 50 000||$100 000|
|Medical Expenses and Evacuation||Included in section 3||Included in section 3||Included in Section 3||Included in Section 3|
|Repatriation||Included in section 3||Included in section 3||Included in Section 3||Included in Section 3|
|Accompanying travel companion||$ 1,000||€ 2,000||€ 2 000||$1 000|
|Visit by any one person||$ 1,000||€ 2,000||€ 2 000||$1 000|
|Repatriation of children||$ 1,000||€ 2,000||€ 2 000||$1 000|
|Emergency dental treatment||$ 200||€ 250||€ 250||$200|
|Burial or cremation||Included in section 3||Included in section 3||Included in Section 3||Included in Section 3|
|Section 4: Travel and related expenses||Refer to below||Refer to below||Refer Below||Refer Below|
|Cancellation||$ 1,500||€ 1,000||€ 1 000||$1 500|
|Trip interruption||$ 1,500||€ 1,000||€ 1 000||$1 500|
|Anticipated return||$ 1,500||€ 1,000||€ 1 000||$1 500|
|Trip Delay||$ 200||€ 500||€ 500||$200|
|Section 5: Personal Baggage||Refer to below||Refer to below||Refer Below||Refer Below|
|Loss, Theft or Damage||$ 2,000||€ 1,500||€ 1 500||$2 000|
|Baggage Delay||$ 2,000||€ 1,000||€ 1 000||$2 000|
|Section 6: Legal Assistance||Refer to below||Refer to below||Refer Below||Refer Below|
|Bail Bond||$ 1,000||€ 1,000||€ 1 000||$1 000|
|Personal Liability||$ 100,000||€ 50,000||€ 50 000||$100 000|
|Carrier Accumulation limit||$ 3,500,00||€ 4,000,000||€ 4 000 000||$3 500 000|
|Excess per benefit per claim||$ 50||€ 40||€ 40||$50|
Medical & Repatriation
- Medical expenses for the immediate treatment of an unforeseen medical emergency. Included are Medical Practitioner's fees, hospital expenses, in-patient and out-patient medical treatment and charges for medical transportation.
- Repatriation: Additional travelling costs to repatriate You Home following inpatient treatment due to an unexpected illness or injury.
- Burial or cremation or alternatively transportation costs of returning Home an Insured Person's body or ashes.
- Treatment for the immediate relief of pain or discomfort, and/or emergency repairs to dentures and orthodontic appliances carried out solely to alleviate distress in eating.
Additional Accommodation & Travel Expenses
- Accompanying travel companion: one person to stay with You and accompany You on the Trip Home due to your repatriation.
- Visit by any one person: One person required, on medical advice, to fly out to You, following Your hospitalisation as an inpatient for more than 5 days.
- Repatriation of children: If You are incapacitated and there is no other responsible adult to supervise them. A competent person will be provided to accompany the children Home.
Pre-existing Medical Expenses
- If You suffer from a Pre-existing Medical Condition and We have accepted the condition(s) for insurance in writing prior to departure, We will cover your inpatient medical expenses/repatriation.
- Ice-skating (outdoor)
- Snowboarding (on-piste/glacier and on recognised and authorised areas only: green, blue and red slopes only)
- Skiing (on-piste/glacier and on recognised and authorised areas only: green, blue and red slopes only)
- Skidoo, as part of an organised excursion
- Click here to download a list of approved Adventure Sports activities
What is not covered:
- Participation as a professional sportsperson receiving payment for each appearance (other than sponsorship only);
- Any sport not listed in the Adventure Sports table;
- Any sport or activity specifically shown as excluded under this policy;
- Participation in organised competitions involving any Adventure Sports and Activities;
- Any obligation upon Us to organise any search and rescue operation;
Non-refundable deposits for pre-paid travel and accommodation You do not use because of Your inability to start Your Trip or complete the Trip due to the following reasons:
Cancel for Named Reasons
- Unforeseen illness, injury or death of You, Your Travel Companion or a Close Relative.
- The cancellation of, or a delay of more than 12 hours in the departure of Your outward international flight, sea-crossing or train journey, as a result of Strike or Industrial Action, adverse weather conditions, or the mechanical breakdown of, or accident of the aircraft, sea vessel, coach or train.
- If You are made redundant.
- Accidental damage, burglary, flooding or fire affecting Your Home.
- Your compulsory quarantine.
- A terrorist incident in a city listed on Your pre-paid Trip itinerary within 14 days prior to Your scheduled departure date.
- Cancel for Any Reason
Up to 50% for non-refundable deposits for pre-paid travel and accommodation You do not use when you need to cancel your Trip due to a reason that is not listed under "Cancel for Named Reason" above.
- Travel Supplier Financial Default
100% of non-refundable deposits for pre-paid travel and accommodation You have lost, following the complete suspension of operations of the SA registered airline, cruise shi or car rental company due to financial insolvency.
- Accommodation and meal expenses if the departure of Your flight is delayed as a direct result of Strike, Industrial Action, adverse weather conditions, failure of air traffic control systems, or mechanical breakdown of aircraft, sea vessel, coach or train for more than 24 hours.
Travel and accommodation expenses incurred to reach Your booked destination by the most direct alternative route and/or flight, if Your Trip is interrupted by a missed connection at the transfer point, as a result of:
- The late arrival of Your incoming flight due to adverse weather conditions, Strike or Industrial Action or mechanical breakdown, derangement or accident;
- Your Personal Baggage is damaged, stolen, destroyed or lost (and not recovered).
- Note: You must report the incident to the airline at time of loss.
- If Your Baggage have been lost or misplaced on the outward journey of a Trip for a period in excess of 12 hours, then You can claim for the purchase of essential items.
Loss of cash and/or Passport
- Money You are carrying on Your person or the money You have left in a safety deposit box is stolen, damaged or destroyed
- Your passport is lost or stolen outside the country of departure during a Trip.
- You become legally liable for accidental bodily injury to, or the death of any person, and/or accidental loss of or damage to their property.
- Death or Permanent Disablement following an unexpected accident.
Motorcycle / Moped Riding
If you wish to be covered for riding a motorcycle/moped as the driver or pillion passenger during your trip, you must purchase a travel insurance plan that includes cover for Adventure Sports. Even if you purchase Adventure Sports cover, you will only be covered if:
- You are wearing a helmet
- You are not racing
- You are not participating in a professional capacity
- Whilst in control of the motorcycle you hold a valid license
- Note: No cover will apply for Personal Liability
Snow Skiing and Snowboarding
If you wish to be covered for snow skiing or snowboarding during your trip, you must purchase a travel insurance plan that includes cover for Adventure Sports. Even if you purchase Adventure Sports cover, you will only be covered if:
- You are skiing or snowboarding on-piste
- You are not racing
- You are not participating in a professional capacity
This policy is NOT a Medical Aid, and does not provide cover for procedures that can be carried out in Your country of residence after repatriation. Our travel insurance covers unexpected illness and injury only.